View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 06:08 PM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: DIY Wiremesh concern: GALVANISATION POSIONING?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi_78 View Post
I looked up galvanisation poisoning but could only find information about it affecting welders, which would be because of the fumes. I don't really see how metal mesh could affect a fox that's just pushing or digging against it or even biting it (as they won't be ingesting metal in any large quantity). Galvanised mesh is coated with zinc and there is such as a thing as zinc poisoning but it takes large or cumulative doses. To be safe I would probably replace the mesh with a non-galvanised alternative if a hamster were chewing it frequently but otherwise it should be fine.

I use 6mm square galvanised mesh which I buy from Wickes in 60x90cm sheets for about £9 each. For detolf lids you would need two sheets, or perhaps you could get away with one if you made the wooden lid frame a bit wider. I prefer the 6mm mesh over 10mm or 13mm because it usually prevents bar chewing (as the squares are too small for many rodents to put their noses through far enough to bite the wire).
I was just a bit concerned as my bf was a welder.

Stating: even handling the mesh for so little everyday can cause galvanisation poisoning. He used to get effected by it even by handling it 10 minutes a day (without cutting it and causing high temperature to the metal) and he ended up refusing to work with it and got a severe pay cut.

Was also concerned for my health and safety since I will be handling the mesh quite regularly each day since I like to clean and refill my hamsters water bowl 2-3 times a day to keep it free of any substrate.