View Single Post
Old 06-01-2021, 08:11 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Rescue Rousey - the hammy I saved from neglect

She’s lovely. She has a bit of a baby look to her face to me but it’s hard to tell. Hamsters can also vary in size hugely. Some can be really quite big at 250g others between 125 anf 175g on average. They are usually fully grown when they get to 6 to 9 months old. You could do a weekly weigh and monitor her weight which will give an indication of if she is still growing. Easiest way is using electronic flat scales. I just put a bit of cucumber in the middle of the scale then zero them. Hamster walks onto scale to eat the cucumber and usually sits for long enough to eat or pouch it so you can read the weight.

Yes you normally gradually change food over but I’ve also had that where they prefer the new food and ignore the old. Whimzee mini dog chews are very popular with hamsters. I get the toothbrush ones as you can stick sunflower seeds in the bristles occasionally abd they enjoy getting them out. They also like the chews so will actually chew them (they often get excitedly taken back to the house to be out in a place of honour).

Walmart used to do Boxo bedding which is sold in bulk and is paper bedding so safe.

It can take up to two weeks for them to settle after a cage change until they scent mark everything and develop habits so bear to try and avoid cleaning out and changing things for a couple of weeks (spot cleaning the Pee area once a week is ok though). Adding the odd new item during that time is accepted as long as it doesn’t mean moving other items around. Or swapping out a wheel. Assume you’re in the US. You have a good choice of wheels there if you don’t mind buying online. There’s the 10” Carolina storm wheel which is height adjustable and could fit well in a bin cage if it’s not particularly tall. Best wheel is the 12” silent runner (that’s runner not spinner) sold by exotic nutrition - completely silent, very safe sturdy stand and less bulky depthwise than the Carolina wheel. It’s about 35cm tall on its stand though so may not fit in a bin cage.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 06-01-2021 at 08:19 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote