View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 08:51 PM  
MikeTherk
Newborn Pup

Default Re: Rescue Rousey - the hammy I saved from neglect

UPDATE:

Of course Walmart & Target don't have suitable bin cages size, and there's no IKEA around me. I guess I'll just have to wait and check on every shopping trip to see if they restock. She's in a 633 inch cage now, which is already a huge upgrade from the 245 inch she was in.

No interest in the wheel or any of the chews. With other pets, whenever you switch their food, you always put some of the old food and some of the new food in the bowl to ween them off. I don't know if that goes for rodents, but she left all her old food in the bowl and took my good food and buried it beneath her burrow. No surprise there!

She's not nearly as "vicious" as they said she is. Even with just 24 hours, she seems inquisitive of my presence. I can sneak it some pets when she's distracted, but picking her up or going near the face is definitely out of the question right now. Since I'm trying to tame her, the first thing I did was get tissues and wipe them on my face, hands, arms, etc to get my scent. Then I ripped them up and put them in her cage. She used those ripped up pieces of paper to build her burrow, so I guess I should feel special?

I was able to find rodent water bottles at Walmart. As of tonight she has a working water bottle for the first time in... lord knows. She didn't have one when she was surrendered to me, and she drank from the spout for a good three minutes tonight nonstop once I installed the working one. I feel like she's actually super lucky dehydration didn't set in between then and now.
MikeTherk is offline   Reply With Quote