View Single Post
Old 05-31-2021, 05:54 AM  
MikeTherk
Newborn Pup

Default Rescue Rousey - the hammy I saved from neglect

I work at a vet as a vet's assistant and a co-worker became aware of a friend that was trying to get rid of their hamster. They didn't want to deal with it anymore because A) they said it bites and B) they just generally didn't feel like spending money and educating themselves. They were even considering killing it because they didn't want it around anymore. I asked my husband if I could save it (I have a 1 year Syrian - Orange, a 10 year old pitbull - Liggy) and he said yes. After 5 days of my texts being ignored, I feared the little hammy was already in Heaven... but then they literally showed up at my job with it unannounced and said "if you don't like it, just let it outside. we're not getting back in the car with it."

As you can guess, the hamster was a product of PetSmart branding. She was given to me in a Tiny Tales cage that has 245 inches of floor space. The BARE MINIMUM a hamster should have is 450, and Orange is in something around 700-800. It had no water bottle. Its wheel was suitable only for a Robo. It had no wood chews to file its teeth. Only 1 inch of CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP substrate. And all of its "treats" were nothing but sugar packed nibblers that looked cute to humans but offer the hamster nothing but diabetes. It had a playpen and a wooden hut in a bin with its treats, so the first thing I did was dump its bedding into the bin (which was only about 400) and transfer it there.

Since I worked 10am-10pm, I didn't have time to go to a pet shop, so I stopped by Walmart after my shift. I was able to get a bigger bin (that's still kind of small), a water bottle (that doesn't work) and more CHEAP substrate. The wheel I sent my husband to get earlier is way too small still, but that's my fault because I eyeballed it wrong online. Rescue Rousey needs another cage upgrade, definitely, but this was the best I could do with no notice. Plus, today is Memorial Day and PetSmart will probably be closed when I get out of work at 6:00pm.

Oh, I also threw a ton of wooden and alfalfa chews in her cage asap so we can get to work on grinding those teeth down normally.

I think Rescue Rousey is a baby. Orange is a year old exactly and she's double Rescue Rousey's size and they're both Syrians.

Also, I let my husband name her and he came up with Rousey because I'm a huge Ronda Rousey fan. I thought Rescue Rousey was a fitting name because I saved her from neglect and potentially death.
MikeTherk is offline   Reply With Quote