View Single Post
Old 05-25-2021, 08:25 AM  
PoobLove97
Newborn Pup

Default Advice on when to say goodbye

Hello, I've posted about my Chinese Dwarf hamster, Poob, on here before but things are not looking so good and I really need some advice.

My baby Poob is about 2.5 years old at this point and I love her so much. Back in October, she suffered from a stroke but I nursed her back to health with some help from all of you and her vet. Since then, Poob has been pretty much her normal self other than one of her back legs being a little weaker than the other. She could still run, play and eat normally. I have been giving her metacam (advised by her vet) to keep her from biting at her tail as it went numb from the stroke.

She has been a lovely girl but a few days ago her stomach seemed to grow overnight. I think she might have a bladder stone. At first, I thought she may have just pocketed a large amount of seeds because she is normally quite slim. The swelling hasn't gone down and now her pee smells stronger than normal and I've noticed some blood in her pee as well. The swelling has made her too big to run on her wheel and she waddles when she walks now because of the extra size and her weak back leg. I feel so bad because she LOVES to run. She's eating normally and drinking a little but she just rests all day/night.

I am taking Poob to her vet today but I'm scared of what my options will be. Poob is getting pretty old and I don't think she could survive surgery. I've also read antibiotics can be tough on their little bodies and I don't want her to suffer more. I feel guilty no matter what option I pick. I feel terrible just seeing her rest all day. She normally runs on her wheel for hours and zips around her tank.

I'm going to talk with her vet on what to do but I just feel so bad. Can anyone who has been through a similar situation give some advice?
PoobLove97 is offline   Reply With Quote