View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 04:42 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Recommended minimum habitat size for dwarf hamster

The old RSPCA minimum recommended size for a dwarf hamster used to be 70cm by 40cm and most people seem to agree with that. I also think 80 x 50 is better. But yes it can depend on the hamster and some people have found a very shy dwarf may even prefer something a bit smaller than 70 x 40. But with 70 x 40 or 80 x 50 you can set it up to have lots of enrichment and fill it with things so the floorspace is busy with hides and tunnels etc. I think the main thing is that the cage is not too high as they can fall and have injuries and 38cm is about the maximum height it should be really. And they need a shelf - it's overhead cover - something to dive under and they like climbing up on it.

One thing I've found strange about hamsters is they can be nervous about open space above them in a cage at substrate level, but don't seem the slightest bit bothered about being exposed when they're on a shelf! Maybe because they're nearer the roof and it feels more enclosed or because it's a solid surface and a place to go rather than ground level dwelling.

I found 80 x 50 was only just big enough for our robo - but robos can be much more active than dwarf hamsters.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote