View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 06:40 AM  
Shamu
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Shamu's not acting like herself

Hi guys,

I have had Shamu, a female syrian hamster for one year and one month now. When I bought her I was told she was a bit older than the newest litter that they had. But she was the one who seemed more active and more keen to me, so I decided to buy her even though I knew she was probably an adult already. I was never told her exact age.

For the past few weeks I have noticed her becoming less and less active. She sleeps much more and chews on her toys much less. She also had the habit of chewing on her cage (even though she had chew toys and it was the appropriate size. I was never able to get her an aquarium because my furtinure isn't strong enough to hold the weight of a large awuarium) and she even stopped doing that too. She's black and white and her black fur has become more dull with the time and slightly brown too.

On friday she was totally fine. She tried sniffing my dog and she was on the last plataform of her cage. She was alert and curious as usual and I saw her chewing her toys. On saturday night I noticed her more quiet even though it was kinda late at night when I went ot bed (around midnight) but I just thought it was just one of the days where she was quieter.

Today I woke up and she was laying on her side, almost belly up with a very rapid breathing. I could also hear a clicking sound. Whenever she would get up and move she would wobble to the sides and her head kept doing a nodding motion. She's cold to the touch but I did the dehydration test and she doesn't seem to be dehydrated (her skin goes back to the position but it's hard to see since she is long-haired). I tried feeding her pallets diluted in hot water (kind of like baby food) and she didn't seem interested. Tried giving her water in a spoon and she wasn't interested either but I managed to put a bit of it on her mouth (I don't have a 1ml syringe at the moment). It has been 3 hours since I woke up and she's still acting the same way. Right now she's sleeping belly down, breathing still very quickly and I don't hear clicking anymore.

I have scheduled a vet visit in 3 and a half hours. I have had terrible experiences with exotics vets in my area (I live in Brazil. I only trusted one exotic pet vet and he's not working anymore. I've only had bad experiences with other ones, it seems as if they don't have much knowledge).

I want to know what's you guy's opinion on this.. I'm not sure if I should take Shamu to the vet because it'd be so stressful and it'd make her feel worse. I'm afraid I'll get there and they say they don't know what it is or that she's old and dying and I should put her to sleep (and I'm not even sure if that'd be the best way to go. I'm not sure how euthanasia is done here, but I've read the hamster must be under anesthesia otherwise it isn't peaceful at all. But I can't guarantee how this is done..) and then the whole stressful visit to the vet would be for nothing.

Please, I really need some help.
Shamu is offline   Reply With Quote