Thread: Pickle's Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 04:42 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Pickle's Thread

Pickle had a little run around on the floor last night. He certainly seemed back to normal at that point so Metacam working a few hours after he had it. Cheeky and avoiding being caught! I had to block off a couple of areas in that room so he didn't get behind the freezer. At one point I was thinking - why did I do this?! Thinking he would be slower?! Should have set the playpen up. I was wary of picking him up in case I hurt him and he deliberately avoided tunnels etc for recapture. He stayed in one area though, under a table, and eventually allowed me to carefully pick him up without touching his side. Once picked up he is floppy again and doesn't wriggle or resist. He's a gentle little hamster really (although cheeky). The op seems to have given him quite a zest.

His wound is looking fine and has dried up now and looking slightly like it's scabbing over. It looked quite raw like wet blood along the line at first but the info sheet says it looks wet because of some stuff they put on it (maybe like invisible plaster).

This morning - water bottle completely empty! It's twice the size of the usual bottle. Substrate was wet underneath. It was full last night and didn't leak the first night so I reckon he's been chewing at it. (I'll check the nightcam). Filled up again now.

The tank lid arrived with a crack in it and no time to replace it. It's not rough on the inside where the crack is, but it is on the outside. PAH said they didn't have another one in stock anyway. I saw Porton sell replacement parts for duna tanks and had the lid for £16 so I messaged PAH and asked if I could keep it and have a partial refund of £16 to buy a new lid. They agreed and refunded £16. Went to the Porton site and they've put the price up to £19.60! £25 with postage! As they sell the whole mini duna for £24 plus postage I didn't bother! I will leave it for now as not likely to need it again for a long time after this use, but at least I got the tank for half price with the refund and it's safe to use at the moment. Could be useful for future vet visits (I used to take a small bin with me to put the hamster in so the vet could see them run around safely without putting them on the table).

Last edited by Pebbles82; 05-22-2021 at 05:05 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote