View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 12:23 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Melanoma on 21 month old Syrian - Surgery? Yes or No?

Just realised ours is actually just over 20 months old now! Also just read back and saw your vet had already said surgery was an option. If the lump is solid, bigger and textured that sounds like something enclosed and easily visible to remove. There are always uncertainties but there is a chance it’s benign abd that could prevent cancer later if removed. It’s the uncertainty that’s difficult but my get feeling was - get rid of it!

Different thing altogether really but my Mother had pancreatic cancer - in her 80s. It’s the type that isn’t spotted for many years and people can die within 6 weeks of diagnosis. So it’s usually considered inoperable. But she wanted to live and the surgeon assessed and did surgery. She was lucky that her cancerous cyst was in an enclosed sac and so had not spread. She lived another two years which she wouldn’t have had without the surgery. And her ending was not as unpleasant as it would have been if the cancer had progressed. It did come back but not for a long time. On paper it sounds like numbers and statistics - another two years - but it’s life and more time to enjoy life.

So just saying - sometimes the gut feeling is - get rid of it before it gets worse. And we can get stuck with decisions. I wouldn’t worry about post op problems - that can be sorted. They don’t suffer post op as they have pain relief.

But it’s also a very personal decision. Vets know that so give you options. If my hammy had not been fit and healthy otherwise, I would gave thought twice. But if your hammy is well enough generally it might nit have spread.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 05-21-2021 at 12:47 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote