View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 12:18 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Melanoma on 21 month old Syrian - Surgery? Yes or No?

How are you getting on? I know another huge factor is the cost of surgery. People are usually recommended to have a vet fund for occasions like this. If it helps, our 20 month old Syrian just had surgery yesterday and was active in his cage last night. He’s doing fine. The vet said they had never had a pet die under anaesthetic yet so that was reassuring. Vet did a check first to make sure he was suitable for surgery and they wouldn’t do it if he wasn’t fit enough for surgery.

Our hammy has a huge line of stitches the full height of his body in one side but doesn’t seem too bothered and I set up a hospital tank so he doesn’t catch it on anything (no wheel at first). He is on Metacam post op for a few days (pain relief). That also helps prevent them scratching at the wound because they only tend to do that if it hurts apparently. The vet can also clip their nails at the same time as the surgery if they’re a bit long, so even less risk of it being scratched (that was offered at no extra cost to me - something they included) but my hammy’s nails didn’t need clipping.

They can bounce back very quickly. I know you are struggling with the decision. But maybe ask your vet to assess for and quote for surgery- if funds are a problem they might reduce the cost or let you pay by instalments.

Also it needs a good exotic vet who knows about hamsters really.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 05-21-2021 at 12:26 PM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote