Thread: Pickle's Thread
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 07:57 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Pickle's Thread

I didn't see much of Pickle after he got back yesterday - he was just sleeping and hadn't made a nest as yet. So I set up the hamstercam overnight as wanted to check he had been eating and drinking ok.

Today I watched the recordings. He was up for about 2 hours in the night between 2.30am and 4.30am.

At first he did the usual type thing - came out and had some food and water, chewed on his chew stick and then sat in his ceramic hide. Went back to bed. Came out again and a bit more active. No wheel! He spent ages inspecting every corner of the tank looking for an escape route. Surprisingly active for a post op hamster! He tried the sides all the way round for a gap by scrabbling at them. Did some digging to see if he could escape that way. Then had a go at the roof (which he reached easily by standing on the house roof).

The saving grace of the small tank with not much in, was the chew stick - that kept him occupied quite a bit.

He had made a nest by morning and I thought he had taken all the food out of the bowl this morning - until I watched the recording - I think half of it got tipped out when he upended the food bowl. I think part of the urge to try and get out was being able to smell his regular cage in the room possibly (or maybe he could see/smell his wheel!).

A couple of quirky and funny moments so here are a few short clips. They're easier to see the detail full screen so I've added the full link as well as the embedded videos (the embedded ones are quite small). I like the way he sits down in the dish on the last one

Getting up the first time.

Hamster hospital tank after surgery 1 - YouTube

Having a snack.

Hamster hospital tank after surgery 2 - YouTube

Digging and meerkatting

Hamster hospital tank after surgery 3 - YouTube

Trying for a roof escape?

Hamster hospital tank after surgery 4 - YouTube

Last edited by Pebbles82; 05-21-2021 at 08:08 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote