View Single Post
Old 05-14-2021, 04:07 PM  
freckles42
Newborn Pup

Default Homemade Dwarf Hamster Diet

I would love some feedback on my homemade mix so far. It is still not 100% perfect but here is it so far.

73% seeds/grains (78% fibrous seeds/grains, 22% oily seeds):
alfalfa seed, amaranth, barley, buckwheat, chia seed, dari (red), dari (white), fennel seed, japanese millet, linseed, panicum millet, pearl barley, pumpkin seed, safflower seed, white millet

11% legumes:
green split peas, green lentils, mung beans, pea flakes, pinto beans

5% dried vegetables:
dried broccoli

11% animal protein:
dried mealworms, dried silkworm pupae

The mix works out at 18.7% protein, 8.3% fat and 13.6% fibre. I feel like I need to try and reduce the fat and boost the fibre, but I can't seem to get the balance exactly how I want it, so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

I will be also scatter feeding dried herbs and flowers as well as using foraging sprays in the enclosure. I am trying to also add in some fresh vegetables on a regular basis, but I just need to work out which ones and how those might influence the diet. My hamster likes sunflower seeds as well, but due to the high fat, it kept throwing off my mix so I plan to just use those as treats.

I am unsure if this will need to be supplemented with commercial pellets or other commercial mixes. I would ideally prefer to avoid this as my hamster does not eat the pellets in his current food mix.

Any advice or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated! If there is anything you think I should add or remove, please let me know!
freckles42 is offline   Reply With Quote