View Single Post
Old 05-10-2021, 02:01 PM  
SyrianAlabaster

Question New hamster won’t come out of hiding to tame

hi, i’m a first time hamster owner and got my 8-9 week old syrian hamster, Alabaster, a few days ago on a saturday. i’ve left him for about 2 days now to get used to the new environment before i tried to start taming him.

i gave him plenty of bedding and he has quite quickly dug a burrow which he spends most of his time in. i understand this is normal throughout the day as hamsters are nocturnal/crepuscular but he spends quite some time in there at night too.

i have the feeling he is scared of me — understandable in a new environment — but it’s difficult to get him used to me being around when he’s always hiding away. this has also given me other worries such as whether he is drinking, eating, exercising or peeing regularly.

i’ve tried luring him out with blueberries, cucumber and grated of cheese but it hasn’t worked. i’ve also turned off all the lights and been quiet, waiting for him to come out in his own time but he gets scared and hides once he realises i’m there.

does anyone have any tips on how to lure him out of hiding in order to tame him?
any ways to monitor his exercise, eating and drinking habits would be great to

thanks

any tips on how
SyrianAlabaster is offline   Reply With Quote