Thread: Hamster fell!
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 03:31 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Hamster fell!

They can cause a lot of alarm can't they?! I remember when we got our first syrian we had an open plan kitchen/living room and I couldn't catch him. Of course he went behind the fridge! We had to virtually dismantle one end of the kitchen worktops to get him out.

I think free roaming is ok in a hamsterproof room but you need to have constant observation - you turn away for a second and they are off. They know! They wait for you to look away.

The main concern would be not having cats in the same room at all. The cats need to be out of that room. Cats and hamsters don't mix and cats will try and get at and kill a hamster. It can also be very stressful for the hamster.

I have never had a hamster pee in the bathtub! And tbh if they did it is so easily cleaned. But I agree they don't like it - it is really just for taming sessions it is useful.

They tend to always want to escape playpens as well and soon get bored in one, so free roaming can be good if you can hamsterproof the room.

I used to have ours on the bed with blanket barriers at the edges but they can easily escape from there. The sofa is a good place and you can keep an eye on them there - but not if the cat is in the room and depends how active the hamster is.

Ours likes to scale the back of the sofa to the top and I then lift him down again. His main goal at various times is to jump off but I just lift him back to a safe area again. We have various obstacles on the sofa for interest - a blanket to run under, the odd toy or tube or hidey place.

I would just block off the bottom of the wardrobe if you can. But they do need constant observation.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote