View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 05:12 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Harry’s back legs aren’t working properly.

Hello. I personally wouldn’t take him to the vet if he seems ok otherwise. He is very very old at 3! Vet trips can be stressful when he’s enjoying his old age. It is quite common for their back legs to go and can be muscle weakness or arthritis. However if it started after a fall then he should go to a vet as they can have spinal damage from a fall and that can cause pain. But it sounds like he is just fine apart from the back legs.

Yes take the levels out. What I do is actually move one of the shelves right to the top so it’s pressing against the top bars. That way there is no way they can get onto it to fall off - but they can still sit “under” it! With the familiar darker area and familiar smells. They don’t like too much open space above them. Yes they are very determined snd will climb and lose their balance and fall and may even still try and climb bats to get to a shelf if you remove a ramp.

At the same time you can add more enrichment at ground level to make up for the loss of shelves. Any toys from the shelves can be at ground level. And you can add the odd extra tunnel or hidey place. Doesn’t matter if it’s a bit busy. I’d also make sure the water bottle and food are near the house do he can get them easily of he does struggle to walk more. Snd flatten down the substrate so it’s a firm surface to walk on.

With the wheel - can you adjust it so the entrance is level with the substrate or it can be a trip hazard when they try to get out (eg get a leg caught). Our first Syrian still used to like to jump in and run for about 5 seconds a day snd I did this with his wheel.

Every day is a gift at the moment as he is very old and just needs treats and love really x. I would only take him to the vets if you think he is in pain and suffering and that would be to help him on his way probably. Although they can give Metacam for pain if he is not seriously suffering. Signs of pain are - sitting hunched. Ears down all the time and an expression - drawn face with slitty eyes sort of pulled back facial muscles.

Our first Syrian when very old would still happily zip about on the carpet on the level despite his weak back legs.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote