Thread: Hamster fell!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 02:25 PM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Hamster fell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeir View Post
A...long while ago, I had a hamster drop from a much higher height than that, unsupported. He was fine, but a little spooked. They are surprisingly hardy animals for their size, although long drops are very much not recommended.

What you need to do first is to calm down. Accidents happen. Leave your little one in his cage for now and just observe him. He'll likely be upset, so it may take a while to settle.

From the sound of things, he slipped down rather than fell, and as he was still running around after, at most he was spooked more than anything. Give him time to settle and check up on him a bit later (perhaps with his favourite treats). He'll be tired after his little adventure, but will likely recover in a short while with no ill effects.

Of course, in the unlikely event he does show some issue (limping, refusal to eat/drink), a vet should be consulted.
I've left him be for the last 2 days besides checking in on him and making sure his water (since he has a bowl instead of a bottle) is clean and nice and cold. I've gave him a treat and he took it right out of my hand, I haven't seen him drink yet but I haven't been awake to see him have any so I'm going to try and see if I catch him drinking tonight.

As you say, I definitely need to calm down. I think I'm still very stressed over losing him for a short time and knowing my cat could've got him. He was "fighting" the treat that's hanging up in his cage and nibbling it so he seems okay there as well.

If I see anything wrong I will definitely be contacting the vet that's for sure.
Imogen is offline   Reply With Quote