Thread: Hamster fell!
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 12:33 PM  
Imogen
Hamster Pup

Exclamation Hamster fell!

Hi there.

This post is a little bit of a worrying one but I must know.

2 days ago I finally managed to handle my hamster in my hands and therefore felt it was okay (since he was okay with me picking him up) to let him lose in my room. I made sure under my door was blocked off with a blanket that was stuffed really well into the crack to stop him getting out.

Anyway, I kept my eyes on him every 2 minutes and made sure I listened for him doing his little scratches in my room since he loves digging.

Anyway, the time I take my eyes off of him for like 5 minutes he's all of a sudden gone! I lift up my whole bed, check under my wardrobe which is easy to look under and is safe and he's not there... I notice my blanket had been slightly moved and there was a small gap created so I started panicking and hectically running about. It wouldn't have been such a problem since my whole house is safe in terms of furniture wise but... I HAVE TWO CATS!

I noticed one of my cats watching under one of my familys wardrobes. This cat luckily isn't the killer out of the two of mine but more of the gentle player of small animals and doesn't intend to hurt them. But that didn't stop me from shaking and panicking.

I found the little guy in the corner. I reached my hand under and he randomly disappeared, I thought he had scurried off somewhere!

I heard clawing but I didn't know where it came from, I thought he was right in the corner behind the wardrobe leg so I gently moved the wardrobe forward, to then find him climbing up the back of the wardrobe! I didn't want to move it back because I thought I might do it too much (as it was kinda heavy) and I'd squish him. He managed to stay climbed up until he slightly moved and he fell completely all the way back down to the bottom!

He was about eye level with me, and I'm 5'7 in height so it was quite a drop! I got even more frantic when I saw him drop down because I completely squinted my eyes as I heard his claws scratch the wardrobe during the drop. He managed to run to the other corner of the room that was the opposite side of where I made my cat go to (since she sits on the windowsill and stays away from me since she's a rescue and is quite scared of humans and avoids us at all costs).

I managed to grab him and he seemed ok, besides a little small spec on his hand where he might have caught himself on something but it was very small and like a needle pin prick so I think he might be ok there.

Is there anything I should be concerned about? I checked him over for about 3 minutes but he was moving quite a bit as he seemed kinda stressed out from the whole situation where I was frantically trying to chase him and pick him up before one of my cats got him or he got lost again.

I know this is 100% my fault as I shouldn't have took my eyes off him. It's very irresponsible of me and I now don't even trust myself to let him free roam my room. I can't currently afford a play pen and the £16 one from pets at home has VERY bad reviews of hamsters squeezing through the bars or climbing up and out. I don't really want to have to sit in the playpen as I let him out when I'm cleaning out his bin cage, I have to move him to somewhere else as he can easily jump out from his cage from having 10cm burrowing depth which I will NEVER decrease whatsoever. So he ends up being stuck in his small animal vet carrier case for like 10 minutes and he's always trying to escape or going in circles and I feel awful. He does not like the bath, and let alone that my family do not want me putting a pet in our bath, especially a hamster since their wee can smell pretty bad and for 10 years I've been banned from owning a hamster because of their wee. So the bath option is a no no. And I don't have any spare plastic boxes.
Imogen is offline   Reply With Quote