View Single Post
Old 05-07-2021, 11:46 AM  
Sapp01312018
Newborn Pup

Question Is Linguini sick?

Hello all,

My name is Anastasia, and my girlfriend and I recently got a hamster about a month ago . My cat Ritchie has deemed it his mission to knock the cage over onto the floor that our precious Linguini is in, and proceed to chase him around our apartment while we are at work. As far as we know we don't know if Linguini has been severely hurt, and everything that we have found online is saying that he either has a bacterial infection, or has had a stroke. All the vets near me that deal with exotic pets do not have any available appointments for the next few days, and we are concerned that Linguini may not make it through the night.

She (or so we think she is a she) has not seemed to be eating or drinking much water since Ritchie knocked her cage off of its stand. Also, she doesn't use her wheel at night like she was before. I walked over to her cage this morning (5/7/21) and noticed that she did not burrow last night, as well as she was cold. Our apartment did not get below 67 degrees last night, although it may have hit 50 degrees outside, but not indoors. This is our first hamster, and I am afraid that if something bad happens to her that it may be our last. We love her with all of our hearts and don't want anything bad to happen to her.

Her breathing doesn't seem labored, although at times it seems to speed up and slow down. She had diarrhea this morning, and that is what sent off the red flag. She used to love running on her wheel and I have caught her a few times climbing the side of her cage, but she wont do that. I have but a washcloth in her cage and she had crawled inside of that and seems to just be sleeping. She also is getting I think poop stuck in her butt. I pulled a piece off of her today, and it had almost like a clear string type thing attached to it, no bigger than 1/6 if a centimeter in length, and very thin. I don't know if there has been pus coming out of her butt or near it, but she didn't have solid poop today.

We don't know what else to do. She is in her own room now with a door that can close so that Ritichie can not get to her anymore. What do we do, or what can we do????

If we can't get her to a vet in the next few days, what can we do at home to possibly help her recover or make her more comfortable?

TIA
Sapp01312018 is offline   Reply With Quote