View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 12:08 PM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Possible kidney failure???

So along with Comet at the vets last week so was Mr Twinkle.

He is drinking a lot of water and sort of collapsing after exercising, you know when they have over done it and got a bit over heated and just sort of flop down for a rest then off they go again. Well, he has always done this to a certain extent, the rescue even mentioned that I would see him for a drink during the day.

Anyway, for a little while, instead of just happening once a day, it would happen twice, now it happens 3-4 times a day, up for a drink and if he has been running around or on his wheel - he kind of flops down around 3-4 times.

So just to make sure he hasn't got an infection or something (although no smell/pus)
he is on antibiotics for a month, although I strongly suspect he is just getting old and his kidneys are possibly starting to fail. He is approx 20 months now.

The vet said we could do some tests etc but I think we all agreed that at Twinkle's age it's not really fair on putting him through all that when the likelihood is he's just getting old.

He hasn't lost any weight, still zooms around and still his silly goofy natured self.
He's getting cucumber everyday to try and help keep his kidney's flushed out.
I didn't see him flop down last night, so maybe the cucumber or antibiotics is helping, who knows.

Has anyone had any experience with this, do you think it is just old age?
Star used to doze off in her old age but it's different to that, it reminds me more of Sunny when she used to just flop down and she ended up having an un-operable mass in her abdomen. no sign of anything like that with Twinkle though.

Anyway, keeping an eye on him.