View Single Post
Old 05-06-2021, 08:33 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Help would be greatly appreciated.

Is it a burrow box you bought from a shop like the ones with the glass/perspex sides and solid base?

Personally, i can't really see the point of having a burrow box. Hamsters usually chose where they want to burrow. All we have to do is give them enough substrate.

I think when they can burrow freely wherever they like then the potty is more accessible, for you and the hamster and more likely to get used.

A lot depends on the individual hamster though.

I don't know what kind of cage set up you have but for a female Syrian you're probably looking at 100cmx50cm continuous floor space, something like the Savic Plaza to make things practical.

My Syrians have bottomless guinea pig sized Ferplast houses with a removable roof so i can easily lift out and clean the en suite toilet the lazy hamster uses. The other is very houseproud and only ever pees in his corner toilet outside his house. My departed Syrian was the same. None of them burrowed but immediately moved into their houses.

Did she sleep in her house before you got the burrow box and what was the reason for getting it in the first place?
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote