View Single Post
Old 05-01-2021, 06:57 AM  
Petite
Senior Hamster

Unhappy Re: Hammy doesn't seem right....

Thank you, Ria and Serendipity for your messages - I'm really grateful for your feedback.

I phoned the vet, who said that there are no appointments until Tuesday, but when I explained what was happening they offered Freya an appointment this morning. She was with the vet for around half an hour. We're not allowed to go in with them just now due to Covid restrictions. They think it's not a middle ear infection, as it's her whole body that is tilting rather than only the head; but they are thinking it could be meningitis or a tumour. She has been given a long-acting steroid injection that seems to be settling her down a bit (her behaviour was getting quite manic and distressed) and also an antibiotic injection. She has been prescribed 0.2 ml of Baytril for 10 days to be administered orally, and now it's a waiting game to see if she responds. If she doesn't, they said it would be kinder to help her on her way.

I've never had to administer antibiotics orally before. What is the best way of doing this? The vet said she might object (presumably to the taste) so it would be really helpful to be armed with one or two strategies.

It's hard to see her like this.
Petite is offline   Reply With Quote