View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 06:17 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Hamster obsessed with escaping playpen/cage/hamster ball

Petshops are a very unreliable and out of date source of information. When i got my first hamster just over two years ago and before i had joined this forum my hamster lived in a petshop cage with a wheel he very quickly outgrew twice.

A 19cm wheel is a dwarf hamster wheel and he may be uncomfortable while running which could make him grumpy.

Wheels are available online like the 28cm Trixie wheel which is inexpensive but there are others.

The house sounds more like a dwarf hamster house as well but he nests under the shelf anyway. I think i know the cage he's in but have forgotten what you call it in Holland. It's the equivalent of the Grosvenor i think.

None of our hamsters like a playpen so i've hamster proofed a room for free roaming time and i set up a hamster playground in the hall with all the doors closed and the stairs blocked off. I put down a spare wheel and various long bendy plastic tunnels etc.

If you would be able to let Nero free roam in a safe environment then i think it may make him happier but there is no guarantee of course.

I sit on the floor with a free roaming hamster and they use me as a climbing frame which is good and fun interaction.

As for bedding for nesting. I find that a hamster's favourite nesting material is a big heap of torn into strips plain white unscented toilet paper left outside their house or sleeping area.

As for chew toys. A Whimzee dog chew is popular with hamsters.

It can be quite difficult to get a hamster's set up right and to their liking which i have found out when faced with a hamster tantrum on a number of occasions.

Cardboard is a great friend and sometimes a piece of cardboard placed on the inside of the cage where the hamster bites the bars helps.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote