View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 12:46 AM  
Newborn Pup
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Norway
Posts: 8
Default Re: Possible allergies?

Wow, thank you for such a detailed answer Serendipity7000! I really appreciate you taking the time to write to me.

Well, I'm not sure if mites have been eliminated, after seing the small red dots on his neck a few days ago. I was worried these might be insect bites. But the vet said that mites were eliminated once he had the first treatment for it, so I don't know.

I didn't know allergies towards wooden bedding were so common. I live in Norway, so we don't have access to all of the beddings that they have in the UK and the US, but I have access to Uber and also Kaytee Clean and Cozy, although they are very expensive. But I decided to stop using Carefresh completely, since I found it so dusty compared to Uber. He stopped sneezing once I took away the Carefresh.

You're right, it might just be that his allergic reaction hasn't gone down yet, that it just takes some time for the skin to heal again.

Haha, I have actually succeeded with dabbing the spray and the pads on him a few times. But I didn't think he could catch a cold from it, he does get his fur a little bit wet in that area when I put the stuff on. I will try to apply it less often now until the next Vet's appointment and see if it heals on its own with time.

I have thought about food allergies as well, but I had no idea where to start. Now I'm using Versele Laga Crispy Muesli Hamsters & Co, as this is recommended in Norway. In addition to this I give him fruits and vegetables in small amounts, dried herbs for foraging, pea flakes, snacks from JR Farm and some hazel wood and dandelion roots. The only food he has had since before the fur loss, is the seed mix and vegetables, so the allergy must come from one of those if it is the food. I can't find Science Selective here in Norway so far. But I'll look into that. I'll also look into probiotics, maybe ask my vet about that in the next appointment.

I don't know if it might be due to rubbing against something. Maybe the entrence hole of his house is slightly small and he's been rubbing his back against that. I have also wondered whether he could be allergic to his house. It's a Trixie "Maze house Leif", made with "living wood". He had a house in "living wood" before I gave him the multi chamber hide as well, so it might be the wood in those?

I'll post a photo of his neck area once I get a chance.

Thank you so much again for all the input, I really appreciate it!
emmylou is offline   Reply With Quote