View Single Post
Old 04-28-2021, 02:05 PM  
Croft11
Newborn Pup

Default Taming advice needed + mealworms question

Hi!

I had 3 hamsters in my life before, now I have the 4th one, although I never had such an issue with taming before.

My current hamster is a female (I had female ham once before), I got her in october or november 2020, she was quite small, so I'm sure she was young. I've been trying to get her used to hands for a few months. She takes food from my palm, yet she only let's me pet her when I feed her or when she is in heat (I'm pretty sure I shouldn't do that, so I try not to. I just let her be when I notice that). I think she is also quite agressive, as when I put my hand near her in her cage she always tries to catch my sleeve and pulls it and bites it. Same as when I put my sleeve near the bars of her cage to sniff it, she grabs and pulls it, when I put my finger near, she also tries to grab it. I'm really scared to touch her when I hold no food for her, because she immediately turns around to check out my hand (and I guess she would like to bite me, if she could...). I tried to put her in bathtub on a blanket, but she was really scared and was screaming a lot, so I put her back in her cage quite quickly.

Will she ever tame? Is there something I could do? I don't want to give her tissues with my scent, I'm afraid that she will eat it or it will stick to insides of her cheeks. She is a really curious hammy, when she hears me she comes out so fast to see me and asks for treats, so I believe she likes attention.

Another question - What I also noticed is that she HATES mealworms. She just won't eat them! Should I keep the mealworms and still try to feed them to her or just get rid of them (I would give them to my friend who has a turtle, so nothing wasted)? I guess if I don't like something, she can also do the same with her food haha
Croft11 is offline   Reply With Quote