View Single Post
Old 04-20-2021, 03:07 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Biting hamster? Help!?

I've read your other thread and remember that you only just got your hamster.
Wendy is probably scared and insecure because she hasn't had time to settle in yet. A hand in her cage so early on can be seen as a threat and a frightened hamster may well bite.

To move her you'd have to put a treat in a jug or something and then wait till she walks in, cover it and then put her in a transport box while you move all her things over to the new cage. Let her walk from the transport box into the big cage when everything is set up and ready. I'd try and be as quick as possible so she won't get too stressed while in the box.

Once moved i'd leave her to settle in for a week or so and only talk to her so she gets used to your voice and smell. Try feeding her a treat with your fingers through the bars if you like and she may take it.

People have different ways of taming hamsters and a lot depends on the hamster's personality. I don't put my hand in the cage because many hamsters are territorial and don't like it but a lot of people use this approach and it works for them. I prefer to tame a hamster out of their cage on neutral ground once they've had a chance to settle into their new habitats and make themselves at home.

Don't worry though because you will get there but it can take a bit of time for a new hamster to become confident around humans.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote