View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 06:29 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: Why does he toilet everywhere? Any suggestions?

Pet litter or potty litter isn't suitable.

I once dedicated a whole thread to my late Syrian's peeing habits and concluded that a hamster pees where he wants to pee. BUT he did pee in the corner toilet in the end, once i got his set up the way he wanted it and placed the potty where it suited him.

I'd wait until you've built his new habitat and then give him a couple of weeks to settle in before you address the toileting issue. You could put a couple of corner toilets in like the plastic Trixie ones, fill them with sand or substrate (ideally peed on one) to see if he uses them. The toilets are additionally to his sandbath.

I have currently two Syrian boys. Both have a wooden guinea pig sized house. One is so houseproud that he chucks his poops out of his house door for me to clean up and only ever pees in his sandfilled, ceramic Rodipet corner toilet opposite his house and the other is lazy and will not leave his house during the day so pees in a woodchips filled, small ceramic corner toilet which is opposite his nest inside his house. I have to clean the toilet twice a week and exchange it for a clean one and now and again i have to clean the whole house and exchange it for his clean, identical one while the washed one dries out. He misses the toilet sometimes but at least he tries.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote