View Single Post
Old 04-15-2021, 03:43 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: stuck with taming

The vision of a you with a hamster on your head made me giggle!

I think your fear of getting bitten may hold you back a bit but you'll get over that once you can pick Cloudy up.

My two Syrian boys don't come onto my hand to take treats either because that's not something we've ever bothered with.

From a top opening habitat it is easier to let the hamster walk into something and he does that so no problem getting him out. A habitat with a big front door makes life easier because the hamster will simply walk out and they are usually easier to pick up because they want out.

I know what you mean with getting a hamster back in though. I have spent numerous 2ams on my hands and knees trying to catch and coax a freeroaming hamster i wasn't comfortable picking up yet.
Hamsters have bad eyesight and they're naturally weary from anything approaching from above so even now i only pick up a hamster when they can see and hear me, stroke them a little first, rustle with my fingers on the carpet before picking them up and have never been bitten.

I got there by doing the pick up exercises until they are comfortable with it which i may have mentioned on a previous thread so may be repeating myself, apologies if i do.

I put a hamster on my lap and stroke his back for a few sessions then move on to putting my hand lightly on his back and eventually cup my hand around his body. Once he tolerates that i lift him up briefly and increase the height over a few sessions. Then pick him up and put him down on repeat. Once he's fine with that i let him rin off then catch him before he runs off my legs and put him back to starting point on my lap and repeat.
Worked a treat with Henry and Rory but Rodney used to run off before i was able to catch him so i had to wait till he was hungry enough to walk into a jug with sunflower seeds in it before i could put him back into his cage.

You could work on scooping up the same way but i find that picking up from above is easier with a Syrian. I scoop up our dwarfs because they're just too small and wriggly to pick up any other way.

Hope this helps. Also keep in mind that some hamsters don't like getting picked up. I always think it best to have no specific expectations from a hamster and accept them for who they are and what they are comfortable with. I will always give it a try though and they soon let me know what's acceptable for them and what isn't.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote