View Single Post
Old 04-13-2021, 02:57 AM  
Karolina2021
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Hamster is suddenly biting me and drawing blood, what do I do next?

Hi everyone. Just joined HamsterCentral. I've had my male Syrian for almost 3 weeks and it seemed like we were making great progress. The pet store said he was around 6 months and from what I saw was not tame at all.

He was really scared in the beginning but left him alone for a few days and started introducing treats in my hand. He quickly caught on and soon I was able to scoop him with both hands and he fell asleep.

So it's been 3 weeks now and today he started grinding his teeth and not in a friendly cute way, he looked seriously mad when I scooped him slowly and bit my hand and drew blood. Usually when he wants me to put him down he very gently nips at my hand and I immediately put him down.

I never wake him up, he has a large tank and a 12 inch wheel with plenty of bedding and chew toys.

I left him alone for a few hours and he was at the corners of his enclosure trying to get out so I let him free roam in the bathroom which he has done plenty of times. He was falling asleep in a corner so I was trying to scoop him up when he bit me again, not as hard as the first time but he drew blood again.

Btw, I checked his teeth and they are not overgrown. They actually look quite small.

So guys what do I do now? Do I leave him alone for a few days? I feel I've been patient with him so don't know if leaving him alone will reinforce this behavior or just calm him down.
Karolina2021 is offline   Reply With Quote