View Single Post
Old 04-06-2021, 09:50 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: How do I know when it is time? Please help.

It is so difficult isn't it. When they are still active and eating and drinking. Can you tell if he is in pain? My vet told me about some recent research where they have a "look" like their face is drawn back so the eyes look squintier - that is a sign of pain. Other signs are - ears down all the time or sitting very hunched. From what you describe though he sounds active and doing normal hamstery things.

I think only you will know but the vet my help. With our robo, he had skin lumps and a large tumour but continued to be active and eat. However he started to look skinny and very ropey and also began chewing at one of his lumps. Vet said eating isn't always a sign that they enjoy food and it can just be feeding the cancer. He was eating ravenously and waiting for his food each night, but still losing weight. She decided he was suffering because he was chewing at the lumps which had developed sores - and when they do this it's because there is pain and they are effectively trying to amputate them.

It took someone else to tell me he was suffering on that occasion. He was so very active we thought he must want to keep going. He was on metacam for pain but that doesn't touch the pain of cancer sometimes.

I would talk to him. I know that sounds strange, but sometimes they give you a sign. It may be the right time or it may be not quite there for you and him. Perhaps see what the vet says again.

Souffle is very experienced on these matters. I have maybe not gone quick enough to have a hamster pts on a couple of occasions, but it is very very difficult when they are still interacting with you. I hope he gives you a sign one way or the other.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote