View Single Post
Old 04-04-2021, 04:23 PM  
nmhs15
Newborn Pup

Unhappy How do I know when it is time? Please help.

Hi everyone,

Really need some advice, help... I'm not sure what. My syrian is about 1.8yo. Over the last several months he started losing his fur, around his face, sides and back. I took him to the vet and at first they thought it could be mites, and treated with ivermectin (which I was reluctant to do). No change, and the fur loss continued. His skin went extremely dry for a week or so, and the fur loss accelerated.

Over the last few weeks i would say he has worsened, only appearance-wise, which is why i find myself so conflicted. He stuffs his face every night, spends hours on his wheel, moves about fine, etc. But he has started to grow, what I assume to be, tumours over his body. He appears to have chewed at the one on his side and neck. i went straight to the vet, thinking maybe he was itchy, or to get something to help his skin heal. The vet said she was worried about him and suspected what was thought to be cushing's was maybe cancer. I was given baytril to administer twice daily at 0.05ml in case it was a skin infection. I've noticed two new lumps on his tummy this evening that I think have appeared just over night as neither the vet nor I noticed them the other day.

I've always felt as soon as I noticed his quality of life declining, I would let him go. And this is where i'm conflicted. In himself, he seems fine. But... he can't be comfortable covered in several lumps and severe scabs/wounds. Do I let him go now? Do I wait and see what happens? I don't want to be selfish, but I also don't want to be too hasty. I know that if it is cancer, which seems likely, he won't recover. But is it fair to put him down when he is still eating and playing? Or is it safer to put him down before he has a big decline?

Please help i know it's a decision I have to ultimately make, but I really have noone to bounce this off of.

Thank you in advance, from me and Pea.
nmhs15 is offline   Reply With Quote