View Single Post
Old 03-31-2021, 10:33 AM  
dorianhamster
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Accidental pregnancy help!

Hello. I am new here. My female Syrian hamster, Petunia, turned a year old last month. This month I left her and my 1.5-year-old male Syrian hamster, Fern, with my sister for a couple of days. We had hamsters growing up so I figured she would know how to take care of them and not let them "play" together. I was wrong. I came back and Petunia was pregnant. I am shocked. Supposedly she only let them "play" together once, but that was enough to get her pregnant. She let them hang out sometime between March 12 and March 13, I'm not too sure which. Of course, it is now going on 17-18 days since they were together and she has swelled up like a balloon. She's become pear-shaped, her nipples came in, I've been feeding her more, and she's been building a big nest. I've been doing my best to stay out of her way but I cannot help but check on her because I am so worried about her. The last time I held her I could see a couple of little bulges in her stomach which I think are the pups. She has been pretty restless for the past few days, but last night and today she has just been sleeping. Still no birth yet. Is that normal?

I am just so nervous for her. Is it normal for her to not have the babies yet? Is there anything I can do to help her? What is the latest she could have the babies? Should I be worried? Is she dying? Again, this was an accident and I am very frustrated with the entire situation.
dorianhamster is offline   Reply With Quote