View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 04:38 PM  
Shadow Cat
Hamster Pup

Default Re: I bought a multi chamber house my hamster won't move into!

Hi. Thanks for answering.

She's been nesting under the shelf for ages, that hasn't changed. The house that was where the multi-chamber now is she mostly used as a bathroom. I didn't do a full clean before putting it in, but although I didn't change the substrate I did change her cage up a bit. I removed the main Barney shelf as I noticed she was struggling a bit with the ramp as she's getting a bit old now (she's 18 months) and I also put in a driftwood branch for some variety. It didn't seem to stress her out too much.

Putting the house on legs is a good idea. Do you have any suggestions of how to do that? I'd worry it wouldn't be secure though. On top of the house is a ceramic hide she sometimes uses to keep her hoard (as it's in the same place it was when the shelf is there) and it's kind of heavy. The house is not quite on the cage floor but close, there isn't a ton of substrate underneath.

I wouldn't describe her as skittish, she's usually pretty chilled now. Maybe due to her age she's just stuck in her ways? She has a couple of tunnels and hides in her cage still but nothing I would describe as another house. Part of the reason I decided to get the multi-chamber is because she didn't seem to be using the house that was in there and I decided that was because she had grown bigger and it was a tight squeeze and not comfy.
Shadow Cat is offline   Reply With Quote