View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 08:46 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: cleaning cage question

How often to clean depends on the individual hamster's habits, the size of the cage and depth of substrate.

I'm guided by my nose. If something starts to smell bad then i'll clean it. If not then i'll leave it alone.

We have two Syrian boys, both living in Alaskas and sleeping in their Ferplast guinea pig houses.
One is a lazy and messy hamster and the other is extremely houseproud. They are both lovely.

One pees and poops in his en suite toilet because he never leaves his house during the day so i have to exchange his smelly toilet for a clean one twice a week.

The other only pees in his toilet which is outside of his house and never pees inside his house. He even tidies up and chucks his poops out of his front door for me to clean up.

The dwarfs pee on their wheels so i clean them with damp toilet paper when needed. If they are really stinky i wash them with mild washing up liquid and rinse well. I only use plastic wheels for that reason.

I'd say that you don't need a cleaning schedule at all otherwise you may end up cleaning something that didn't need cleaning.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote