View Single Post
Old 03-25-2021, 04:25 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: My russian hamster only eats seeds

Hi ninaa, reading your first comment can you clarify something, when you say seeds are you referring to what you called corn seeds and sunflower seeds?

I'm only asking because most seed mixes for dwarfs such as rodipet, bunny dreams, mixerama, have a whole lot of different seeds.

For example Bunny dreams dwarf has:

Yellow millet, canary seed, pea flakes, quinoa seeds (6%), barley, mung beans (5%), puffed amaranth (5%), barley flakes, oats, silver millet, perilla seeds (3%), red millet, carrots, linseeds (2%), grass seeds, parsnips, dandelion leaves, lucerne, mealworms (1%), yarrow, ribwort, sesame (1%), calcium carbonate, beetroot, calendula blossoms, chamomile blossoms, rose blossoms, wheat bran (millet 24%).

So, you can see it has lots of different types of seeds and they are measured in a well balanced nutritious way and should not make your hamster fat or unhealthy.
However, say you fed your hamster an extra 10-20 sunflower seeds as a treat everyday and they ate them all, of course they would probably get fat as they are fattening.

Also as Ria already advised hamsters do not need a mineral block of any kind (this was a mistake I also made at first) it can mess with their own delicate mineral intake and they don't need that. If they are on a good food/seed mix they should not need any extra minerals.

Hope that makes sense and helps you.