View Single Post
Old 03-24-2021, 04:27 PM  
ninaa
Newborn Pup

Default Re: My russian hamster only eats seeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
Pellet food is unnatural and doesn't allow a hamster to forage. I feed our five dwarfs Bunny Dreams Expert dwarf mix from Zooplus or the Rodipet mix already mentioned. Both are made of mainly small seeds and a few other things.

It's a good idea to scatter feed because hamsters like to forage for their food which encourages natural behaviours and to eat different foods.

Mineral stones aren't necessary and i would chuck it out. Try a Whimzee dog chew instead as most hamsters love them and carry them to their nest. I buy the xs toothbrushes but there are other shapes.

Very few hamsters eat everything in a mix. Ours always leave the herby bits. Like humans they have their preferences.
How can I be sure which dog treats are safe for hammies? It does seem like a good option though, maybe she'll like them!

As for the food situation. I bought her pellet food, and after a day and a half she started eating them, so I'm more relieved now. I don't want her not to eat any seeds, but I don't like her eating ONLY seeds, they're too fatty and I read that's not good for them. I thought about using seeds as treats, that way she can enjoy some and also get used to me.
ninaa is offline   Reply With Quote