Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 03-21-2021, 10:02 AM  
Stella Maris
Hamster Pup

Default Re: Euthanasia

The cat was in Canada. There's a quick and dirty way to inject "Beauthanol", not using the vein. I wasn't expecting that, and neither was my cat. It was very quick, but not at all pretty. Too be fair, the cat was in bad shape, it might have been very difficult to find a vein. Injecting into her liver may, in the end, have been the least stressful.
My tiny poodle was in California. The guy inserted an iv, which surprised me, but she had teeny veins, so it seemed like he was wanting things to go well. Unfortunately, in his desire to make it quick, he slammed the barbituate in too fast and possibly blew the vein. The opposite of what he was trying to do, but she was teeny and so were her veins.
In my experience, larger animals, like most grown cats and normal sized dogs, do fine with injection euthanasia. I've been "knocked down" with an IV barbituate for surgery, and found it quite, er, relaxing.
Rodents are small. It's probably a good idea to find an experienced rodent vet, when possible, for ALL medical purposes.
Stella Maris is offline   Reply With Quote