View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 04:12 PM  
Natrc
Newborn Pup

Default Re: 2 year old Syrian struggling to use lower back legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKnight View Post
Thanks, but to be frank you should read your post back and consider how self-righteous, assuming and condescending it sounds. I came looking for advice to help an animal, not to be read the riot act and basically told I don't know how to treat animals. I'm a farmers son and have spent my life with animals of all sorts, I'm more than aware of their various comfort needs.

I consider her cage to be large enough, but not crazy big to the point were it takes up half the room. It has tubes that run outside of the cage that she used to run around in all the time doing circuits. She is allowed to run free for exercise and my son plays with her every day. Like I say, he's no clutz when it comes to animals and is extremely empathic towards them. Who exactly are you to say what my son needs to be educated in?
Just because you have experience of certain animals "comfort needs", doesn't mean you know the ins and outs of hamster care. Most people gain their hamster care knowledge from pet stores or others, and often this knowledge is outdated and incorrect. As an example when speaking to my aunt a couple of months ago about hamster care she believed her hamsters lived so long because she kept them in "one of those fancy rotastak compartment cages", she had no idea that these cages were bad because she was told at the pet store that they were good. Old habits die hard.

Firstly addressing your post, yes this could be a stroke, but if you have a cage with bars it could also be a broken bone from a fall. I would advise seeking advice from an exotics/small breed vet who will be able to help you. If it's the later the hamster will be in pain and will need help.

As for this comment - hamsters really do need large cages, and it's all about floor space. Forget about ramps, ledges, platforms and tubes/tunnels, the floorspace of your cage needs to be of adequate size (80x50cm is a good starting minimum but the bigger the better). The free runs for exercise is exactly what they need, but considering they are mostly awake at night when we are asleep, a big enough cage is so important.

I hope your hammies leg gets sorted.
Natrc is offline   Reply With Quote