Thread: New hamster
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 01:23 PM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: New hamster

Hello and welcome to HC!

First of all i would advise you to slow down, you, not your Robo.

You've only just got him and already moved him to a new cage so he hasn't had a chance yet to settle in. He is probably scared and nervous. Robos are naturally timid and shy.

I'm glad that you quickly realized that a Crittertrail is an awful cage and not fit for any hamster.

What kind of cage does he live in now?
Robos are burrowers so he'll need deep, ideally paperbased substrate to build his underground tunnels. He'll need plenty of shelter and hidey places to feel secure.
What kind of wheel does he have? Does it spin freely and easily? Can he reach it?
Does he have a sandbath?

As for the playpen. I'd forget about it for now. That's for much later, if at all.
What's important for the moment is to get his set up right, let him settle in and become familiar and confortable in his new home and then i'd think of attempting to tame him.

Is he eating and drinking ok? Does his water bottle work and can he reach it? These questions may sound silly but that's the kind of routine checks i do.

I've recently moved my Robo into a bigger cage and he's gone all shy now. I've hardly seen him since he moved but that's down to him getting used to his new surroundings and perfectly normal. It may take him a few weeks to feel completely at home and confident to be out and about doing his hamster stuff while i'm near his cage. He goes on his wheel when its dark and nobody's about.
Put a bit of substrate on top of your hamster's wheel. If its gone in the morning he has probably used it.

Most hamsters sleep during the day and are active at night.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote