View Single Post
Old 03-15-2021, 03:39 AM  
GreyKnight
Newborn Pup

Question 2 year old Syrian struggling to use lower back legs

Hi folks

My 8 year old son has had a lovely little Syrian called Squeaky for the past two years (she is 2 years and 2 months old). She's always been a hardy little thing and very friendly, he plays with her regularly and has always cared for her very well. She's always been active, doing the monkey bars around her cage a lot, also we allow her to run around the living room occasionally for exercise (door shut and there's nowhere she can escape). She never bothered with a wheel though so we removed it after a year to give her more space.

We noticed two days ago that she is struggling to use her back legs. I have examined her more carefully today and determined that it's only her lower back legs that seem affected, she is still wiggling her back hips in an effort to use her legs, but she's kind of shuffling on her back knees, her lower legs and feet seem limp, though she can drag them back under her when she stops.

She's still active and eating / drinking, she doesn't mind being handled and doesn't appear listless, or in pain. I've manipulated her back legs gently and she doesn't mind. Poos are solid, she's weeing etc.

So, we're thinking maybe stroke, though the lack of listlessness seems strange. She's scurrying around the living room at the moment finding the titbits we've put for her.

My son is a bit upset, we've explained that she's probably nearing her end as she is over 2, he understands as he's very switched on to animals and reads and watches a lot about them, but it's still tough when you're 8 and have never been through loss before.

Just wondered if anybody had any more ideas?

thanks
GreyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote