View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 07:10 AM  
Mom
Newborn Pup

Default Stuck in the bars

Ok, the little hammie (a Cambells or Winter White cross) is in a cage rated for dwarf hamsters and has been just fine. For some reason after we went to bed last night he got the urge to force his head far enough through the bars that he got stuck, standing on his tip-toes. I don't know how long he was like that, but found him at 7:30 this morning still trying to get free. I ended up disassembling the cage and forcing the bars well apart and finally got him out. His good eye (the other has the start of cataracts) was very sunken into his skull and I assume he had been rubbing it against the bars while attempting to free himself, judging from the state of the fur around it.

I put him in his play yard to see how he was navigating around. He went into the little box we have for him in it, took an epic pee, and then hunched in a corner of the box. I gave him a saucer of water that he drank rather vigorously a seed and a tiny bit of carrot, both of which he ate. He then went back to his corner of his box and turned his back. He is responding to my voice, but I am thinking he literally cannot see me now.

After it became apparent he didn't want to come back out of the box I put the entire little box back in his cage. He came out and sniffed, and then went back into his corner.

I assume we're dealing with a bit of shock here, and some irritation or damage to his eye. I am checking on him every five minutes or so, without disturbing him. I am not sure what else I should do?

(I am phoning the vet later when they open.)

Last edited by Mom; 03-09-2021 at 07:20 AM.
Mom is offline   Reply With Quote