Thread: hamster pee???
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 08:34 AM  
Ria P
House of Hamsters

Default Re: hamster pee???

Ooops! I'm surprised that your dwarf is still "talking" to you.

Completely removing all of their hoards is a no no in the world of hamsters and you would be seen as a thief or a robber.

Their nests and their hoards are very precious to a hamster, it's their security and purpose in life and best left alone as much as possible.

It's ok to prune them a little by removing the bottom part unless they're peed on of course or old fresh veg are there which would justify removing it but even then fresh dry mix should be placed in exactly the same spot.

Hopefully you got away with it this time but don't be surprised if your hamster starts peeing on his hoard now or in his nest to deter unwelcome intruders.

I made this mistake myself when i first started to keep hamsters a couple of years ago by moving a nest and the result was a very disgruntled hamster who threw a major tantrum until i put everything back the way it was and he watched my every move.

I've always used the inexpensive Ferplast guinea pig houses for all my hamsters because they have one big room with enough room for a big nest, hoard and en suite toilet and the roof lifts off to get a sneaky peek when they're out of the cage. Same as a shoebox house.

A lot of people like the multichamber houses and i had a donated Getzoo one once which i gave to the foster Robo as a present when she moved out. She used it more like a playhouse and loved running in the front door and out the roof entrance.
I find them too low and the rooms on the small side as the only house though.

Last edited by Ria P; 03-07-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Ria P is offline   Reply With Quote