Thread: hamster pee???
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 05:06 AM  
Tommyshelby
Newborn Pup

Default Re: hamster pee???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria P View Post
I find that Syrians use toilets and always pee in the same spot but dwarfs.....they pee wherever they feel like it with their wheels being a favoured spot. We have five dwarfs and i don't worry about their peeing habits because dwarfs change their habits so often. Sometimes they sleep in their house, often underground, near their wheel and most of the time i haven't got a clue where they are sleeping or peeing.

I rely on my nose when it comes to cleaning. If something smells bad i clean it, usually when the hamster is out of the cage.

As long as your dwarf is healthy and happy i wouldn't worry and let him get on with his life. He may decide to move back in his house again but burrowing and building tunnels is what they naturally do.
Thank you, it's a relief knowing this is normal behavior for my dwarf 😁

I did a bit of investigating.. and I think I figured out the problem.

I was over feeding him. I found around 5 stashes of food. I think he was just looking for places to store his food.

Anyway I cleared all the hordes of food, removed the multi chamber and gave him a shoe box instead. He now stores his food in the shoe box so I can see how much food he has in storage 😁 he sleeps with his food 🙃

Shoe box > multi chamber house
Just want to clear up why I removed the multi chamber hide out. I removed it because I feel the small rooms in the multi chamber are too small for him and one bigger room (the shoe box) is better for him as it's one big room.
My hamster wasnt sleeping in the multi chamber either, he was tunneling out of the multi chamber. Now he sleeps in the shoe box, and when he wants to burrow he does it outside the shoe box.

I'll add pictures later tonight when he wakes up 😊
Tommyshelby is offline   Reply With Quote