Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 10:23 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Euthanasia

I think it probably breaches section 9 of the animal welfare act as well For pets that is. I don't know about professionals or laboratory or things, but as you say Amethyst, it is not a thing for amateurs and professionals need to ensure it doesn't cause suffering.

That part of the act says those responsible for animals must provide for their five welfare needs, one of which is the need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease.

In fact the vet told me that not having our Robo euthanised would be a welfare issue as she decided he was suffering, even though he didn't appear to be - just by his condition.

When I had not had a hamster euthanised before and didn't like the idea of the injection (I know more now) I also looked up all sorts about home euthanisation - in some detail - and rapidly came to the conclusion that it is not a way to treat a loved, suffering pet, attempting home euthanisation. I did a fair bit of research and it convinced me that the only "humane" way was gas anaesthetic followed by the injection (the injection works very quickly). As if they were going to have an operation - so they are asleep and can't feel pain.

Also if you can imagine the effect on yourself of doing it yourself! And the hamster will sense fear if you are putting them somewhere scary. And know you are there. I think that is worse than saying goodbye and handing them over to a professional. If it helps, the twice I've had to say goodbye they knew and were ready, I am sure.

But you need to feel you trust the vet and are sure that is their usual protocol (anaesthetic first). Or I would go somewhere else. In that way it is as if they have died during an operation in a way, under anaesthetic.

Petite with regard to afterwards. As Ghosts in Snow mentioned - you can either take them home or leave them. At my vets you have to fill in a form if you want to leave them for cremation and opt for single or multiple cremation. The vet then gets the cremation company to phone you, you pay them direct (over the phone usually) and at that stage also you can change the option. A single cremation means the hamster is cremated alone and not with other animals. There are then also options to collect the ashes (taken back to the vets) or to have the cremation place scatter them for you.

The second time I had a hamster pts I couldn't face bringing them home and opted for cremation and time to collect the ashes at a later time. However I didn't ask how much it was! A single cremation (on their own) cost me about £90 and that is for a basic cardboard tube and no special box or urn or anything.

But you can then either scatter or bury the ashes if you still want to bury them somewhere and have a marker.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 03-02-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote