Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 07:16 AM  
GhostsInSnow

Default Re: Euthanasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipity7000 View Post
Can I just ask for confirmation, Ghosts in Snow, about the info on the previous page about self administered anaesthesia at home being absolutely not a good thing for the hamster. And that vet anaesthesia is the only way for it to be done without suffering.
Absolutely not good to be doing it at home. There's a whole host of ways that this can go wrong. The purpose of euthanasia is to prevent suffering so I'd argue that doing it at home, would go against this. Just my personal opinion.

On the subject of being there, like I said it's practice to practice dependant etc. Also depends on the layout of the practice, how quickly an animal can be transferred from the anaesthetic gas back to the consulting room for example.
From my own personal and professional experience I would always rather have the time beforehand with my animals and then have them back once the injection has been given as a client. Obviously if I'm taking a hammy in with me to work to be euthanised I'm able to be there from start to finish as it's where I work. If I were going to a completely different practice I would much rather not be there for the injection.

GhostsInSnow is offline   Reply With Quote