Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 05:53 AM  
Amethyst_ice

Default Re: Euthanasia

I have yet to find a vet that would let me be with a small animal at the time of injection. From what my vet friend has told me, the transission from gas tank to the injection is there and then so as to make it quick as possible.

During Covid times I've sadly had to say goodbye to 3 of my furbubs and have found the process actually more intimate. They phone me and some kept me on the phone to tell me at what stage (with my consent) and held the phone (or so they said but I have no reason to doubt) to say goodbye before the injection.

I have always had them handed back to me nicely wrapped up. One even drew a flower on a tissue and laid it on top and some have sent sympathy cards (even the PDSA charity).

Not to be morebid, but on the eyes front. As a archaeologist, we did foresnsics and was told it was due to muscles. Muscles are actively needed to close the eyes and they only close after rigamortis has begun to set in due to the muscle shrinkage. Thus, if you don't wish to see your furbub eyes open, wait a few hours and then they will look like they are sleeping.

My vet friend also said it is best practice, if not unspoken rule to gas first and any vet not doing so would likely be reported as their ethos is to cause no harm