Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 07:35 AM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: Euthanasia

Petite I had one experience like that too and it was absolutely awful - I changed vets after that. All I can reassure you is that the body reacts after death. Death is instant. But the hamster should be laid looking peaceful when returned and in my case that did not happen and it was traumatic. Most vets will return them careful wrapped and looking peaceful.

I am so sorry you had that experience too. Bear in mind that any hamster who needs to be euthanised, is suffering.

In terms of going in with the hamster - this is not possible when gas anaesthetic is used, because of the gas. You can take them in a favourite little house or nest and they stay in that and it is put inside the tank where the gas anaesthesia is done. So they just doze off just as they would if having an operation. Sometimes with a sick old hamster they just pass away on their sleep with the gas. But legally the vets still have to give the injection to ensure death. The hamster doesn’t feel this is anaesthetised.

My experience is some vets give you the option to be with snd hold the hamster and not have gas. Then they just have the injection without anaesthetic, which is very quick but I, and most vets these days, feel that is not right as they will feel pain, even if only momentarily. And it is an injection into the heart.

The main thing is find a good vet who you know cares.

Last edited by Pebbles82; 03-01-2021 at 07:41 AM.
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote