Thread: Euthanasia
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2021, 05:10 AM  
LunaTheHamster1
Cosmic Hamsters

Default Re: Euthanasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petite View Post
Thanks, Ria P, for raising this important subject. I believe it's important to know what is happening to our pets, and I have always wondered if my previous hamster's experience of euthanasia was a comfortable one. I wanted to ask if I could go into the euthanasia room with her (it was pre-Covid days) but wasn't sure if I was allowed, so didn't. When she was brought back in her pet-carrier it looked as though she had vomited, but what really bothered me was that her eyes were wide open and she didn't look at peace at all. I wonder if one is allowed to ask if the eyes could be closed? It hadn't occurred to me that the process would be anything less comfortable than just going to sleep, and I wish I had known enough then to ask.
Thank you for sharing your experiences Petite. I think I have been extremely lucky with my vets, both times they have looked after my hamsters very well. 1 time they wrapped one of them up so snuggly in a little towel, I just put her straight into a box/coffin like that. The other time they put my hamster back into her little nest all wrapped up.

I don't think you are alone in not knowing, I only knew how horrible/upsetting it could be because The Rodent Nurse had talked about it on her social media platforms.

Last edited by LunaTheHamster1; 03-01-2021 at 05:25 AM.
LunaTheHamster1 is offline   Reply With Quote