View Single Post
Old 02-27-2021, 06:18 PM  
Pebbles82
Hamster Antics

Default Re: UK hamster owners - any users of pennine large rat cage?

Sorry to hear the bar biting is still going on in the Hamster Heaven. The cage move may have caused some stress which can also lead to bar biting. It might settle down. Did you move everything across from the old cage without cleaning? If not then the hamster will be stressed as it will all smell unfamiliar.

But as Luna says you could take it back for a refund (PAH are quite good with this). If your hamster does seem to have bar biting as a habit now, then a tank style would be good but it does sound like the hamster needs plenty of space as well. Is it a female hamster by any chance?!

It isn't easy to find larger tank style cages. The 100cm zoozone and maxi duna are good but some hamsters don't find that big enough either - I think that is partly due to the height not being that tall to allow for extra levels and enrichment etc.

I think you can either try for a refund (and meanwhile put the hamster back in the old cage but allow plenty of out of cage time - you could even set up a playpen area and put the cage inside it and leave the door open most of the time (if you're around or they can escape playpens).

Or try and persist with the hamster heaven. They can take 2 weeks to settle after a cage move and adding enrichment, a large house and scattering food can help distract from bar biting and wanting to escape. But personally I have a feeling the bar biting could continue and the hamster needs a bigger cage.

So I would try for the refund. Alternatives: It is difficult to get hold of cages right now. And limited choice in tank style.

Amazon have the 100cm maxi duna multy in stock - but it has become expensive. The 100cm zoozone is basically the same and cheaper. But it needs the lid meshing as it has 2cm bar spacing so not escapeproof.

It might be a good option but would need setting up so there was lots of enrichment so the hamster doesn't get bored. Eg a large house, a platform, lots of floor toys and tunnels and different textures/substrate levels eg.

Ferplast Large Plastic Cage for Rabbits and Guinea Pigs MAXI Duna Multi House for Dwarf Rabbits, Small Animals , Ventilation Grid, Transparent Roof, Grill and Plastic Bottom, 99 x 51,5 x h 36 cm: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

This is the Zoozone - a lot cheaper - if you don't mind meshing the bars on the lid. The lid is quite clunky to use and some people find that frustrating. The maxi duna has narrow bar spacing and a better lid overall - but costs a lot more.

Zoo Zone Large Small Animal Habitat

A second hand 4ft fish tank is an option, if you can find one. Otherwise tanks are very expensive (and make the maxi duna look cheap!). Someone on here recently got one from Junglepets though - they make them whatever size you want and they come with a lid already meshed. You'd be talking about £125 at least plus delivery.

Hamster Gerbil Mice Tank 48" - 122 x 48 x 48cm no platforms 2
Pebbles82 is offline   Reply With Quote