View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 06:40 AM  
Amethyst_ice

Default Re: Syrian with loss of use of back legs, (video included)

It is but it's also a sign of love if you can put your own wants aside and say goodbye if it's time.

Souffle has always said to me "a day too soon is better than a day too late" and sadly, there have been a few pets I've left too long and then felt awful and guilty afterwards.

I keep rats and they are prone to HLD, hind leg degenration, where they gradually loose the use of their back legs.

I recently had an old man who was energetic, eating, drinking, grooming all fine but was dragging his legs around and would tire easily. It must be very energy consuming to have to drag yourself around like that, espcially when in the twililght years.

He seemed happy enough but as soon as I saw he had a facial cancer developing, I decided to let him go with some dignity before the legs and face got worse. It was really hard as he seemed perfectly happy and almost 3 years old.

Quality of life is always my consideration when making these decisions. I imagine myself as my pet and how they are living and whether I would be comfortable.

If her ears are flat back like in the video and you don't feel it is time, I'd ask your vet if she could have some pain relief like metacam at least as she may be uncomfortable