View Single Post
Old 02-24-2021, 05:10 AM  
yasmin_the_hamster
Newborn Pup

Question DIY cage - safety and tips

Hello everyone,
I would like to ask for an advice about the DIY cage I made.
I really appreciate all the safety tips, or tips for improvement.
This is my first DIY cage, so I am mainly wondering, if I truly made a safe environment for my syrian hamster. I am adding the pictures in attachment. My hamster is not moved yet – so there is no house and old bedding in the right corner.
The cage is 200 x 55 x 100 cm.
First, I have started with melamine boards and plexiglass. These are on 8 wheels, so the cage can easily hold my weight as well. The boards and glass is siliconed with acquarium silicone, non-toxic for fish and plants. The glass sits on lower melamine board and it is also secured by white alluminium holders from sides.
My hamster is a chewer. That is why I secured the corners of the cage with alluminium edges. They are also glued by silicone. Silicone is from the sides of the edges as well, so pee or dust will not go under the alluminium edges. I smoothened the silicone as well as I could, so there are no big lumps. She sometimes likes to strip the silicone away, but I could not find any better solution for covering the alluminium edges.
I have cut and sanded the alluminium edges in the corners, so they fit together. They are not sharp because of the sanding I did, but since I did it on my own, there is a half millimeter gap between the pieces.
So, to add an extra protection of hamster teeth : D, I have siliconed there beech wooden pieces. My hamster is a chewer, but she gets easily discouraged by big pieces of wood, so I do not expect her to chew them completely – and if so, I can always easily replace them.
I have build two platforms to hold heavy objects.
I have also build lids, so in case she feels like jumping really high, she can not get out.
Because the cage is too high, I had to build side doors for me to have an access. I am making sure that the edge of the doors is unacessible for chewing, that is why her house will be about 20-30 centimeters lower than the edge of the doors.
I was also trying to put there many hideout, so she feels protected.
Please, let me know, what do you think about the cage being secure and safe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (2.77 MB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (1.22 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (2.50 MB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 3 (2).jpg (82.3 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by yasmin_the_hamster; 02-24-2021 at 05:47 AM.
yasmin_the_hamster is offline   Reply With Quote